First encounter






Finally the day of days I have been waiting for
The 20th of March 2010.
I had spent the whole morning trying to find the right combination of clothes that would give the right impression.
Not easy to do when all my favourite clothes are in a box locked up 880km's, and my bank balance was looking seriously anaemic.
The lovely young lady at Target was so helpfully she could tell I was a bit nervous and helped me find some items that would work, I was surprised that by the time I was at the checkout paying for my new ensemble I was feeling more comfortable with the glances I was receiving as all they saw was a man buying women's clothing, when in reality there never was a man.

Back home for a hot shower and shave off the remaining hairs not yet obliterated by laser.
Then a quick coffee before I tackled my hair and makeup.
Was I really doing this. Surely it was just a dream the same as before
But no the shocked expressions and smiles from my three housemates all of whom knew there was something going on, although non of them had the full story. And up till now had not seen this side of me.
The Greek security guard who I thought being an alpha male would freak out smiled and wished me luck once he could draw breath again. And the landladies daughter gave me a big hug and again wished me luck.

So here am I driving for the first time as the real me and more importantly at last meeting with a group of Transgender women for the first time
I should clarify that up till this night I had never knowingly had a conversation in person with another Transperson.
The whole drive which only took 45 minutes yet felt so much longer was surreal, I was giddy with excitement of what tonight might bring, And as nervous as I was my face was just a grin, finally I get to meet my peers and maybe even learn a thing or to about myself

I pulled up down the street and had a cigarette to steel my nerves, then brushed my teeth and rinsed with Mouthwash to hide the evidence,
Nervously I made it to the door and.....rung the bell. John the host answered the door and invited me in.upon entering the lounge room I was meet by a lovely diverse group of normal people just having conversations and sharing drinks and nibbles.
I know what was I expecting right
Before to long I have met almost all of them bar one , her she scared me, no I'm not saying she was hideous, on the contrary she was gorgeous and had a fire in her eye.
I Remember clearly two young couples all four transgender, I gained some great insights from them and learnt some things I had never even given any thought to.
Even though I was new to the group I was welcomed into their family with open hearts and arms
I can't recall ever having felt so accepted in all my life.

So this day was Alice's first day out,and also my first ever proper chance to get to know who I am.
So many chances before I had hidden away avoided to question and point blank lied or my friends. And now the 20th of March will forever be the beginning of the end for him and the beginning of a new and exciting life living the way I had always dreamed

Today, Two Years later I have the most supporting friends I could ever dream of
I've fallen madly in love, and madly rejected as well
Today after 28 years of slowly realising who and what I am, I'm now living full time in my chosen role.
I know we all say "I wish I'd done this sooner" but "you don't take the souffle out of the oven before its ready "

Looking back at the journey so far I have been blessed with wonderful old friends who have and still respect and love me. And new friends that have always been their for me, the me that is the real me

My emotional life is still that crazy roller-coaster ride, It seems that will never change, but what's happiness if you've never been sad
At least now the ride doesn't give me those cursed migraines anymore.

To all my friends,
I love you all More than you can imagine , if it wasn't for you I would not be the woman I am today



1 comment:

Ina said...

Sweetie you are one of the delights in our life. You are a delight to be around. We all have our ups and downs but finally we are ourselves