Cherished friendships

Friendships are of more importance to me now than I ever thought possible in my old life

several of my old friends from Adelaide rate very highly in my list of friends I both adore and respect
Having had to lie and hide the inner most self from them for so long , even though I came out to them all in the end . finally getting the chance to be with them face to face and allow them to see me as I really am. Was the most exciting part of my Christmas break
And just to put my friends in context I will describe a little about them

"Tracey"
 
 We first met at a mutual friends party, so totally drawn to each other were we that pretty soon we were of in a secluded part of the garden having a private chat. Within days we were dating and almost an eye blink later we were living together. We had varied interests but we enjoyed sharing those interests with each other
So that just made our dynamic work . Dinner parties and going out to events with her was so much fun
Sadly after three years we both realised that we were doomed to fail and one night we both sat down and admitted that for the best part of six months we had been trying to find a way of splitting up without hurting each other.
For several years after we saw very little of each other , as we both had to get our lives back on track
But thankfully we both maintained respect and a desire to be friends again . And some 10 years later I am happy to call her one of my true and dear friends
( she was after all the first person I came out to )

"Trevor"

One night many many years ago. Me and my then girlfriend both very much into the Gothic scene passed by a hotel called the " Gothic arms "
which it certainly wasn't the cool Gothic hive we were hoping for .Instead it was full of bikers and strippers

within minutes we stumbled across this little cafe open late at night
it was the "Witches Brew " adorned with brooms and black cats ( the edible kind in a big jar )and my memory says there was fake webs scattered around . or was that my place
This place was so cosily lit and the atmosphere had this strange mix of both welcoming and expectant
a group of girls in one corner and several couples having hushed conversations in little discreet alcoves
I must admit everyone stopped to stare at the oddly dressed couple me with my birds nest hairdo and her with long flowing red hair both of us pasty white and all in black
I think they were quite amused by us
As was the owner Trevor. within minutes we had formed this bizarre friendship based on our differences
it was much later after many nights spent at what will always be a place of beautiful memories
 That I realised the "witches Brew " was a place where gay and lesbians could meet and have a good meal without feeling uncomfortable in the then very closeted gay scene  
And I learnt a new found respect for people who back then were frowned upon
It was my first encounter with openly gender variant people and I soon discovered they are more amazing and lovely than the people I used to associate with

I even had my Birthday Dinner there in a secret room catered for by my lovely new friend
I still remember him and that place with fond and loving memories

"Renae"

Going back almost 11 years . I walked into a hairdressers with my long locks
As I made my booking I spied her and Asked if she could do my hair . To this day I still don't know why it had to be her . But it did
the best scalp massage I have ever received as she washed the excess shampoo out and with in minutes we were having a great chat while I let her have free reign with my precious hair . And with it she created a masterpiece that ensured every six weeks I would come back and only let Renae touch my hair. I have never been that trusting with my hair but with her The apprentice hairdresser I allowed her full control over both the cut and colour.
for nine years I never had another hairdresser touch my hair . Until she up and disappear to another state
Two years Later I find myself staring through a hairdressers window ,its her and she's back and for another three years She is still the only person who can have free range with my hair
Eventually we started a great friendship out of the salon where she came out to me about herself in a few weeks later I too her in a manner of speaking ( I really just told her I crossdress)and the last comment that rang in my head like an echo
" Don't transition ,you just wont make it with those large hands and feet "
I know she meant it as a caring comment as she genuinely cared for me and wanted the best for me
Two years ago I had to leave her behind in Adelaide as I had to move to become the real me
Her partner also didn't really like our friendship and it probably caused some friction
so not even being able to explain to her why I had to leave I was gone
Although I did end up sending her a lengthy letter as I t was the only way I could contact her and let her know why I had to leave
A year and a half later I get a response to a letter I had sent explain why I had to leave and how sad I was that I wasn't able to tell her in person


And now were up to date on three very important people in my life

Om the 22nd of December my boss handed me $500 dollars to hire a truck and take care of my storage problem back in Adelaide
Which gave me the perfect opportunity to see my parents . finally get rid of the 125 a week storage fee
a total of 10,000 dollars spent to keep my furniture and essential household items safe
Granted Christmas with my parents was a total failure of epic proportions leaving me feeling unworthy in there eyes and after the massive argument I stormed out leaving them to eat the turkey by themselves
funny how the told me it tasted like crap
Anyway enough about that


By the early hours of the 28th I had finished loading the huge truck full of all my worldly possessions and had the rest of the day to relax do my nails and hair ready for an event I have dreamed about for two years
OK so I wasn't coming out as trans as that had happened already ,

Now it was sort of my big reveal.

The venue we chose was a fairly new place " The Deli "   Just opposite a favourite bar " The wheatsheaf Hotel " Two awesome places I would recommend any one going to Adelaide visit It really was an old Deli revamped and turned into a ubber cool venue for a meal and gigs



















Tracey and I arrived early and ordered drinks,within minutes Trevor who had met me once on one of his visits to Melbourne. I'm already happy to have these two special people here and although Tracey and Trevor have never met they are hitting it of quite well
Yay . I always love it when my friends like my friends

Ten minutes later Renae walks in and Her jaw dropped when she saw me. stunned and amazed at the transformation not only had I transitioned and developed my own real breasts
but gone was my beard shadow and the masculine facial expressions
replaced by a very happy and much more confident girl
Then she handed me a beautiful bunch of beautiful Orange roses and yet more compliments and hugs
She always had a way of making me feel so special, and that night was no exception
Renae of course was every bit the breathtaking beauty she had been the day we met both in looks and in spirit
and of course her hair just was perfect again

We did spend an awful amount of time catching up after all it has been two years of my life not being able to have her in my life ( sometimes partners need to step back and allow friends to be just that )
I know Trevor and Tracey Understood why we spent so much time catching up with each other an fawning over each other
eventually the waitress came up and advised we really should order if we wish to be fed before breakfast
30 minutes later we are enjoying sharing four delicious pizzas  and four way conversations
and yet more drinks
Sadly we had to call it a night and we all went our separate ways after much hugs and kisses

My Last night in Adelaide I really could not have spent in better company than the delightful characters I feel blessed to call my friends.
Now I am back in my new hometown looking forward to the chance of  introducing my wonderful Adelaide friends to my just as wonderful Melbourne friends


Looking Back on this last two years despite all the hurdles and obstacles I have had . I really would not wish it any other way
Finally I can say that I have found a true inner happiness and peace. The likes of which I have never felt before or even dreamed possible
And true friendships that are worthy of embracing and holding onto and nurturing


And somewhere in all that I just realised I really am living full-time

love you much

=^.^=









1 comment:

Bree said...

Very nice to be now fulltime ! and also have the storage issue sorted, Alice. And very nice indeed to reconnect with good friends. :-)