Work

The first job I gained  in Melbourne was with M.I.P. roofing out at Frankston which I started in early 2010

It started out  just through a labour hire company but within a month they realised what a great asset I was to their company and they took me on full time
Most of the time I worked with Andy an older surfing hippy and we got along  really well and it wasn't long before he noticed the differences in me as the hormones took effect over the nine months we worked together
over time the others I worked with from time to time , and two in particular took great delight in being rude and vulgar to me and basically treating me to constant  ridicule top the point of telling me I should ask my boss to pay for my sex change . It was only then that I realised how obvious it was to others exactly what was going on in my life . And in August I had my first set of false nails which was of some amusement at work and It wasn't long before Andy told me they have a betting ballot on me the most popular was that I'm gay or a cross-dresser
It was all a ruse as it turns out there was no such ballot , but I had already had a chat with Andy and let him know that I'm transgendered and we had a great discussion , he was actually the first straight person I came out too and the reaction could not have been more promising ,the compassion he had for my condition and my happiness. I felt truly blessed to be working with him , over the next few months he was my friend, confidant and my champion when two of the roofers took there belittling attitude to far . I never had someone stand-up for me like that before and that in itself was an amazing feeling
The feeling of liberation when I realised that most of  my co-workers knew and that the majority were actually happy for me is something that words can never really describe
 Aside from two people who refused point blank to work with me. everyone seemed to appreciate me as a person and valued my ethics towards people and work . And were comfortable enough to associate with me and joke with me. One of the young lads was quite funny , he always noticed the new nail art on my little finger nail . and posed so many questions till one day he stated " I finally worked you out "   " your a Girl trapped in a mans body" for someone so young and macho  it was kind of startling , after that he was quite happy to work with me and was more comfortable around me.

This job dissolved at the end of the year partly due to a slow down in roofing jobs over the Christmas season
 and maybe in part, that although I could perform the work requirements they probably deemed it better for me to find something else.

So on January the fifth I found I had no job to go back too , unheard of for me to be both broke and without any income potential. I saw an ad in the weekly free paper and On the sixth of January while I was at my nail techs having my birthday present , I received a call from them ,I had my first ever phone interview and the next day they had me in for a proper interview
They liked the fact I was so versatile in what I was able to offer them that within two days I had a new job
I've been with them for just 11 months now and they think of me as an integral part of the company, And best part of it is, is that my boss admitted that he had googled my email address in the first week and found my coming out letter , which he only told me after my three month probation was over .
Since then I have had the chance to work both in the office learning how to run the business and make the best use of resources. And out on sites installing showers mirrors and 10mm glass panels
Also I am looking after some of our pickier builders who demand a certain level of service, for which they now contact me directly as opposed to ringing the office and waiting to be looked after.

Essentially I have been completely blessed with my work life this last two years . I makes me wonder why I had spent all this time hiding my true self away
I no longer feel the need to hide any more . as people accept me for who I am not what I am.





















No comments: